Duration: 2 hrs
Starting time: 8.30 AM, 4.00 PM
Typology: only private groups
This tour includes:
- Guided tour to St. Peter’s Basilica,
- Guided tour in St. Peters square
- No tickets required
• Tour Useful Information and Prices •
- IMPORTANT: This tour does not include entering the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. For that, please check our Vatican Museums tours
- At the end of the tour you can climb up to the dome, just note that this is not included in the tour
- St. Peter’s Basilica is a holy place, please cover your shoulders and knees!
- Due to the ceremonies taking place in St. Peter’s Basilica the opening and closing times can change with short notice. If the church does undergo an unannounced closures, we will advise you regarding possible changes
No tickets are required for this tour but security controls are compulsory and there may be lines for the security checks. We are not able to do anything regarding the time it takes for a security check, but we will our best to choose the best tour starting time to avoid any possible lines!
• TOUR of ST. PETER’S Basilica AND its SQUARE •
Are you fascinated by this stunning piece of architecture? Want to know more about it? Not interested in standing in a line or being stuck in a Museum? Are you on a budget?
Visit St. Peter’s Basilica and its magnificent square with one of our licensed, local, Roman guides: we will reveal the history and secrets of this magnificent church, built by Michelangelo, and its spectacular baroque columnade, designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
This tour of St. Peter’s Basilica requires no tickets!
Forget about endless lines and strict rules, open your eyes wide, be ready with your camera and discover the largest
Church in the world! This tour is not just about art history: it is about the intriguing role of the Popes, who, for centuries, ruled Italy and Europe!
How does the tour work?
Meet your guide in St. Peter’s Square!
284 splendid columns surround St. Peter’s Basilica, a symbolic welcome embrace to all the faithful visiting here for the past 5 centuries!
Pope Alexander VII Chigi commissioned Bernini to design the stunning colonnade, who arranged the rows of columns to create an intriguing optical effect that will enchant you…look for the spot where the columns disappear… Baroque art is an endless surprise!
Black smoke or white smoke?
The procedures of a Papal conclave will have no secrets for you after this tour! Our guides will show you the roof of the Sistine Chapel where a chimney is built during each conclave to reveal if a new pope has elected of not: you will see the Balcony of the Blessings and the windows of the Pope’s apartment!
Then… take a deep breath and after the security check let’s enter St. Peter’s Basilica!
Did you know that this is the second Basilica of St Peter’s?
The first one was erected around 320 by Emperor Constantine in the place where, according to tradition, the apostle Peter was buried. Over the centuries, and under different pontificates, the long process – about 200 years – of construction progressed under the supervision of such artists as Bramante, Michelangelo and Bernini and would lead to the complete makeover of the first church.
Michelangelo’s Dome will take your breath away, with its enormous size, beautiful shape and colourful mosaic decoration!
And if this was not enough to make you breathless, after the end of our tour you can climb – at you own pace – to the top of the dome and enjoy a stunning view of the city!
Among the masterpieces in the Basilica, we will not miss Michelangelo’s Pietà, the work that for centuries was admired for its technique and beauty.
See the monumental tombs of the popes and of important ladies of the past. Raise your eyes to see the splendour of Bernini’s canopy and don’t be scared by the embalmed bodies displayed in this Church, too!
Did you know that the Vatican State is protected by Swiss Guards? Not Vatican citizens nor Italians. For 500 years the Swiss Guards have protected the gates of Vatican City… let’s see if they will let us take a picture together?
No long lines, no ticktes to pay, no photo restrictions, just treasures for both your eyes and heart and the pleasure of visiting this Church and learning its history and secrets … we will do our best to make this experience unforgettable!
|Duration 2/2.5 hours|
|Number of people||Type of Tour|
Up to 8 people
* Please note that we reserve the right to vary the prices shown on our website at any time before you book (during Bank Holidays, National Holidays, Christmas Holidays, Easter Holidays, or last minute bookings).You will be advised of the current price at the time of booking. Once you have booked we will not increase your tour price other than for changes in VAT or any other Venues or Government imposed levy.